What designation do I use?
For those who have successfully passed the CSCN examination as a PGY-4, and will be working under provisional licensing from their provincial college until their Royal College Examination, the CSCN is not opposed to use of the title
CSCN Diplomate (EMG) as part of their signature line. However, we encourage such diplomates to contact their provincial college, to ensure there are not any provincial regulations barring use of that designation without FRCPC designation in letters or other correspondence.
For those who have been approved to write the exam and have received the official approval letter, but have not yet written and passed the exam, you can use
CSCN Eligible (EMG). This is only for those who have had their examinations delayed due to COVID-19.
Are meals provided on site?
Is the exam site fully accessible (AODA)?
What is the application deadline?
Is there an appeal mechanism?
EMG Appeal Process
For those unsuccessful candidates who have concerns about fairness of the examinations, an appeal process has been put in place. To activate the review process, the candidate must make the request in writing and explicitly state the reasons for concerns.
The chief examiner and the CSCN exam committee can give some leeway to the exam requirements under exceptional circumstances, if and only if there is adequate logistical resources to do so in that year. To begin the appeal process, an unsuccessful candidates will need to complete and submit an Appeal Request Form, clearly outlining the reasons why they should be exempted from the exam criteria.
You may submit an appeal under any of the following circumstances:
- The chief examiner refused your application, but you feel you should be allowed to sit;
- You failed your examination due to extrenuating circumstances, or otherwise feel the exam was conducted unfairly;
- You do not meet all requirements to apply for the exam, but you believe you should be exempt from those requirements.
What specialty certification must I have to write the exam?
Candidates must have an FRCPC or equivalent certificate from the USA (or be senior residents in the 4th or 5th year of an approved training program leading to certification) in:
- Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation or Neurology (adult or pediatric)
Candidates from overseas may be excused the certification requirement above if they are currently eligible to practice as a specialist in Canada in PM&R or Neurology, or if they are current fellows in a neuromuscular fellowship program in Canada.
What are the training requirements?
Before applying to write the CSCN certifying examination, the trainee must have....
- A minimum of 6 months training, where...
- at least 3 months training was received within the last 5 years*,
- the training consisted of either:
- One 3-month period of continuous full-time training, or
- Three 2-month periods of continuous full-time training.
- A minimum of 400 studies (where at least 150 are of moderate to high complexity) covering a full range of neuromuscular diseases performed during training.
- A supervising physician who is a current member of the CSCN or the ABEM.
- A well-maintained a study log, documenting their diagnosis's (including their complexity) and with confirmed by the supervising physician.
What are the general guidelines and requirements?
What is the EMG Exam Deferral/Withdrawal Policy
What Should I Expect When I Write My Exam?
- Examination identification labels will be presented to you at the examination site during your registration. A representative of the EMG Secretariat will ask you to sign in in their presence. You will be required to provide a government issued photo identification with signature.
Example: passport, driver’s license, provincial health card. Documents must be in either English or French.
- All books, papers, electronic or communication devices and other material must be deposited with examination officials before the start of the examination. Any candidate caught in the possession of an electronic device may be immediately expelled.
- You are permitted to wear a simple watch without electronic features. As well, you will be asked to leave all personal belongings in a designated area. We therefore encourage you to bring only necessary items. The EMG Secretariat will provide booklets, pencils, pencil sharpeners and bubble answer sheet.
- Many people are extremely sensitive to perfumes, colognes, aftershaves, and other scented products. Kindly refrain from wearing them during the examinations.
- Private prayer rooms and breast pump rooms (with fridges) are available.